3 Essential Factors to Consider When Installing a Furnace in Your Home

3 Essential Factors to Consider When Installing a Furnace in Your Home

By Contractors.com Team March 09, 2023

Installing a furnace in your home is a significant investment. It’s important to choose the right furnace for your needs and ensure it’s installed correctly. Here are three essential factors to consider when installing a furnace in your home.

Size Matters

The size of the furnace you choose is critical to the comfort and energy efficiency of your home. A furnace that’s too small won’t be able to keep up with your heating needs, while a furnace that’s too large will waste energy and cost you more money. The size of the furnace you need will depend on the size of your home, the climate in your area, and the level of insulation in your home.

To determine the appropriate size of furnace for your home, you’ll need to have a professional calculate the heat load. They’ll consider factors like the square footage of your home, the number of windows, and the quality of your insulation. Once the heat load is calculated, your contractor will recommend a furnace size that matches your heating needs.

The average cost of installing a furnace varies depending on the size of the furnace and the complexity of the installation. A new furnace installation can cost between $2,500 and $7,500.

Fuel Source

The fuel source you choose for your furnace will also impact the cost of the installation and the long-term operating costs. The most common types of furnaces are electric, gas, and oil.

Electric furnaces are less expensive to install but can be more expensive to operate. They’re best suited for areas with mild winters where heating needs are minimal.

Gas furnaces are the most popular choice for homeowners. They’re more expensive to install than electric furnaces but are more energy-efficient and cost less to operate over the long term.

Oil furnaces are less common than gas or electric furnaces, but they’re still a popular choice in areas without access to natural gas. They’re more expensive to install and maintain than gas or electric furnaces but can be a good option in areas with extreme winters.

Efficiency Rating

The efficiency rating of your furnace is an important consideration, as it will impact the operating costs of your furnace over time. Furnaces are rated by their annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE), which measures the percentage of fuel that is converted into heat. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace.

A furnace with an AFUE rating of 90% means that 90% of the fuel is converted into heat, while the remaining 10% is lost through the exhaust. The higher the AFUE rating, the lower the operating costs of the furnace will be over time.

When choosing a furnace, consider the efficiency rating and the long-term operating costs. While a high-efficiency furnace may cost more upfront, it will save you money in the long run by reducing your monthly energy bills.

The cost of a high-efficiency furnace will depend on the size and fuel source of the furnace. On average, a high-efficiency furnace can cost between $3,000 and $10,000 to install.

When it comes to installing a furnace in your home, there are three critical factors to consider: the size of the furnace, the fuel source, and the efficiency rating. By carefully considering these factors, you can choose a furnace that will keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient while reducing your long-term operating costs.


Need help with a home improvement project? Enter your zip code and get a free quote today!

Written by
Contractors.com Team

Written by Contractors.com Team

Welcome to the Contractors.com Team, a group of passionate individuals dedicated to helping homeowners achieve their dream home through the best-in-class service providers and inspiring content.

We believe that every homeowner deserves to have a home that they love, and we're committed to making that a reality. Whether you're looking to remodel your kitchen, renovate your bathroom, or build your dream home from scratch, we've got you covered.

When it comes to creating content, we take a multi-faceted approach. We gather insider tips from experts in the home service industry, and do our own thorough research to write informative and engaging articles that are tailored to our readers' needs. At the same time, we harness the power of A.I. and GPT-3 technologies to generate titles, headlines, and even entire articles that are optimized for SEO and designed to provide value to our readers.

We're committed to providing the best possible service to our readers, and we're always looking for ways to improve. Whether you're a homeowner looking for inspiration or a service provider looking to join our network, we're here to help you achieve your goals.